audi forums   audi forums

Go Back   Audi Forum > Audi Forums (Audi Cars) > Audi 60, Audi 72, Audi 75, Audi 80, Audi Super 90 Forum

Audi Forum: reverse keeps coming out of my audi 80 was told it could be an elecrical problem,

Old 11-03-2008, 06:12 PM

Default reverse keeps coming out of my audi 80 was told it could be an elecrical problem,

any ideas? It is an auto? it is an 1989 model, sometimes the reverse is fine but often not. Could be the transmission stuffing up but a mechanic said it could be electrical. Want info on what electrics it could be and how to do it yourself. Thanks

lose weight
Old 11-03-2008, 06:17 PM

It may be a simple linkage adjustment.
And the mechanic MAY be trying to get more money from you by doing more than is necessary.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:59 PM

don't know if there's a connection, but I have a 1997 A4 and lots of transmission problems after the car went through some deep water. I had no gears, forward or reverse. I checked out a number of forums. First I replaced the TCM ( Transmission Control Module ) it was fine for a bit, now no reverse, I was told to check the MFS ( Multi-Function Switch ) replaced that too, still no reverse... From what I've read, the first sign of low ATF is loss of reverse. the problem here is you need to bring it to Audi ( or someone who is good with Audi transmissions. ) because this is a sealed system ( no dip-stick ) and they need to monitor the ATF temp. in order to check the proper level. I'm trying to find out if there's another way... maybe this will help. Good Luck to you...Okay, I'm an idiot... just realize this is a pretty old thread... heh,heh

Last edited by dcmount; 11-09-2012 at 06:10 PM.